Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2021

My Psaltery: improved sight

 #83.   "Crocodile"

 

Crocodile with jaws agape

Big enough to eat me whole

Stiff with fear I daren’t move

Crouched and shaking for my soul

 

Back behind me, from a distance

Comes a tiny, cold hard laugh

I would turn and see who’s leering

But for danger in my path

 

Minutes tick, and hours too

My heart is stiff and sore and numb

Merciless the laughter titters

My temper starts to come undone

 

Quick as a wink I tear my eyes

From Death’s dread teeth and throat

And glance behind to see the one

My end brings cause to gloat

 

That wee glance was all it took

I roared with primal wrath

My back full turned to toothy smiles

I hurled my shoe ka-thwack!

 

There by a candle sprawling

Lay senseless and unarmed

An imp of worthless stature

Whose fingers no more charmed

 

21 September 2020

cja

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.